12 Feb Try This: Our Favorite Valentine’s Day Pairing: Turmeric Mojito and Prosciutto-Wrapped Scallops with Strawberry Relish, Roasted Pearl Onions and Orange Mashed Potatoes
After the cards and roses, but before the chocolates, why not tantalize your loved one’s taste buds with this delicious duo created by executive chef Danny Salazar? It’s a match made in culinary heaven, and your partner will no doubt be impressed with your culinary skills.
- 12 mint leaves (reserve two for garnish)
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces turmeric simple syrup (see below)
- 4 ounces rum
- 1 ounce club soda
Turmeric Simple Syrup
- 4 whole fresh turmeric, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup sugar
- Prepare turmeric syrup by combining all ingredients in a saucepan and boiling for 5 minutes; let cool before use.
- To prepare mojito, muddle mint leaves with lime juice in a shaker.
- Add simple syrup, rum and ice and shake well.
- Fill two 8-ounce glasses with ice and pour mix into the glasses.
- Garnish with mint.
- 1 cup strawberries, diced small
- 2 tablespoons shallots, diced small
- 3 tablespoons red bell peppers, diced small
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
Roasted Pearl Onions
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces pearl onions
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Toss pearl onions in oil.
- Roast in oven on sheet pan for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
Orange Mashed Potatoes
- 1/2 pound Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt, pepper and granulated garlic, to taste
- Boil peeled potatoes until tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Strain, then put potatoes in a mixer.
- Add all other ingredients and whip until smooth and creamy; set aside.
- 4 ounces prosciutto, sliced thin
- 1 pound diver scallops
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Slice prosciutto in half horizontally so it’s about the same width as the scallops.
- Wrap a piece of prosciutto around each scallop.
- Heat oil in nonstick pan at medium heat.
- Sear scallops for 30 seconds on each side.
- Heat in oven on a sheet pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and wrap scallops in prosciutto.
- Serve scallops on top of mashed potatoes with relish and onions on the side.
Ready to start planning your party? Schedule a consultation with one of our event managers today!
Robert Ryan Catering and Design plans and executes over 400 events each year, boasts a five-star rating on WeddingWire and has received WeddingWire’s Couple’s Choice/Bride’s Choice Award seven years in row. Learn more about Robert Ryan Catering & Design and tour our venues. Subscribe to our e-newsletter for exclusive offers, up-to-date news and recipes from our executive chef.
Photos: Robert Ryan Catering & Design