23 May Recipe to Recreate: Pan-Seared Scallops on Arugula with Shallot and Corn Relish and Blood Orange Vinaigrette
Scallops lend themselves to so many methods of cooking, making them a favorite with event planners and home cooks. Consider this: You can sear, deep-fry, grill, bake, sauté and stir-fry them, or add them to soups, stews or risottos. All sorts of sauces and recipes highlighting the tasty mollusks abound.
Our executive chef, Danny Salazar, came up with this delightful recipe, which is ideal for warm-weather events. Served with his fresh corn relish and blood orange vinaigrette, it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Pan-Seared Scallops on Arugula With Shallot and Corn Relish and Blood Orange Vinaigrette Recipe
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 4 shallots, quartered
- 3 whole corn on the cob (cooked) with kernels cut off
- Salt, pepper and garlic to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 pound fresh scallops, 20 to 30 count
- 1 small container (5 ounces) baby arugula
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
For the corn relish and scallops
- Heat 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add red bell peppers, shallots and corn kernels to the pan, plus salt, pepper and garlic to taste, and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro to the mix and turn off heat.
- In a medium, nonstick pan, add the rest of the oil and sear scallops on medium heat for about 1 minute on each side, sprinkling salt, pepper and garlic to taste.
For the dressing
- In a small mixing bowl, zest the blood oranges and squeeze out the juice.
- Add mustard and rice wine vinegar.
- Slowly add oil and stir until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Add salt, pepper and garlic to taste.
Place the arugula in a salad bowl, add scallops, top with corn relish and then pour vinaigrette on top.
Ready to start planning your party? Schedule a consultation with one of our event managers today!
Robert Ryan Catering and Design plans and executes over 400 events each year, boasts a five-star rating on WeddingWire and has received WeddingWire’s Couple’s Choice/Bride’s Choice Award seven years in a row. Learn more about Robert Ryan Catering & Design and tour our venues. Subscribe to our e-newsletter for exclusive offers, up-to-date news and recipes from our executive chef.