18 Jul Our Favorite Midsummer Cocktails
Our goal was to wow you with one, delicious midsummer cocktail—and then we started to debate. The mixologists (and staffers!) at Robert Ryan Catering & Design couldn’t agree upon just one, so here are our top picks. True, three of them are variations on a theme—sangria—but each has subtle differences.
Clearly, you’ll need to do some taste-testing yourself to decide which is your favorite. We think any one of them (or all of them) is a perfect match for a summer event, be it a shower, a reception or even a picnic!
- 2 ounces lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 ounces triple sec
- 3 ounces tequila (gold)
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (if you like a slightly sweeter drink; otherwise, omit)
- 1 slice of lime
- Kosher salt (optional)
- 2 ounces red wine (Merlot)
- 2 lime wheels for garnish
- Fill a shaker with ice, then pour lime juice, triple sec, tequila and agave syrup over the ice and shake well.
- If a salt rim is desired, rub the rim of the glasses with a lime slice to make the salt stick to it. Pour the salt on a plate, then place the rim of the glasses on top to coat.
- Fill glasses with ice, then strain the margarita mix over it.
- Pour red wine on top. Garnish with a lime wheel.
White Peach Sangria
- 1 bottle dry white wine (750 milliliter), like Sauvignon Blanc
- 3/4 cup peach-flavored vodka
- 8 tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pound white peaches, pitted and sliced
- 3/4 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 3/4 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Refrigerate, covered for at least 5 hours (or up to 2 days).
- Serve over ice and use a slotted spoon to include slice peaches and grapes with each serving.
Strawberry Rhubarb Rosé Sangria
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb (about 2 stalks; diced into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 1 bottle rosé wine (750 milliliter)
- 1 lime, sliced
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 1/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves, torn
- 2 cups club soda
- In a medium pot, combine water and sugar and bring to boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add rhubarb, then stir and cover. Simmer for about 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- After it is cooled, strain the liquid into a large pitcher. Add wine, lime slices, strawberries and mint leaves to the pitcher, cover it and refrigerate for at least 5 hours (or up to 2 days).
Add club soda when ready to serve.
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup triple sec
- 3/4 cup brandy
- 1 large bottle red wine (1.5 liter; can be cabernet or your favorite red wine)
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 oranges, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 red apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, sliced into thin rounds
- To make the simple syrup, boil water and pour over sugar to dissolve. Cool.
- Pour into large pitcher, then add triple sec, brandy, wine, orange juice, oranges, apples and lemons. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 5 hours (or up to 2 days).
- Serve in glasses over ice.
Ready to start planning? Schedule a consultation with one of our event managers today!
Robert Ryan Catering and Design plans and executes over 400 events each year, boasts a five-star rating on WeddingWire and has received WeddingWire’s Couple’s Choice/Bride’s Choice Award seven years in a row. Learn more about Robert Ryan Catering & Design and tour our venues. Subscribe to our e-newsletter for exclusive offers, up-to-date news and recipes from our executive chef.
Photos: Michelle Durinzi, Robert Ryan Catering & Design